Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:01:30 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        drkhoe@gmsnet.com
Cc:        Michael Slater <mikey@iexpress.net.au>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fact or Fiction (Unix vs NT)

"Dr. Mosh" wrote:

> What I find interesting about this whole article is that it was "sponsored"
> by Microsoft, and if you look under their Apache configuration,
> MaxSpareServers = 290
>
> That means it would fire up potentially 290 spare threads for each
> request, in effect throttling Linux's kernel...
>
> This puts their whole Linux/Unix know how in doubt, also, they claim Linux
> only used 960megs of the 4gigs of RAM, when a kernel recompile could've fixed
> the problem.  I doubt if they understood the effective use of swap space
> either...

The 960MB doesn't matter because they limited NT to using only 1024MB
and 64MB isn't a significant difference. The threads was an obvious
problem from the graphs when they went above a midrange number.

I have done a lot of benchmarking on a Cray XM/P. You don't know what
the important knobs are until you try them all. On our Cray, for
example, 50% of the system throughput was dependant on write behind
disk caching. You have to provide the running program it's input data
and not force writing the output data to disk. The 20GB Cray DD40 disk
systems, at that time, were manufacturered using 16 CDC Hyrdra's,
which were stripped in groups of 4 to produce 20MB/sec continuous disk
I/O. Cray data channels were 1000MB/s and 100MB/s. At the time of the
benchmarks ~1988 a Hydra cost $250K US. Cray later replaced the 16 8"
full height drives with these little 5.25" half heights that cost on
the order of $1000 US while maintaining throughput. Maintanence on the
Hydra's was more than the new drives cost. You can imagine what the
little HD's looked like in the big 8" bay. You can also imagine the
drop in the amount of heat generated by the DD40.

One of the reasons I'm using FreeBSD is because I was told by many
people that Linux is unstable under heavy loads and that FreeBSD
isn't. Whether that is true or not, it is what many Unix people
believe. My ISP went from Linux to BSDI and their system stability
went up a factor of 10 from my point of view. I was trying to come up
with a better solution for a friend that hires me occasionally to do
consulting. I thought FreeBSD would make an ideal platform for his
people where everyone could telnet in and schedule their jobs. He
doesn't have terminal server running on his version of NT. Many of the
problems run for a day or more. They have also been known to tell a
job to run all weekend.

What I have found so far with my comparisons of FreeBSD and NT is that
my FORTRAN compiles are running on the order of 15:1. I have one
program (the most used one of course) consisting of 299 modules that
requires 1.25 hrs for a complete build on FreeBSD and 4-6 minutes with
DEC Visual Fortran on NT. FreeBSD is running on a P-166 with 96MB of
memory and my NT server has 2-133's with 128MB. The NT server is
really light on memory for this kind of activity. I haven't tried
building and running the sample problems on a single cpu P-II 400
workstation where the server processes aren't getting in the way. It
also wouldn't be fair because I don't have a 400 that I am willing to
install FreeBSD on right now. The difference in build times that I am
seeing is consistent with make processes where the compiler's are
fired up for each module. The ratio can be much worse. The GNU f77
compiler supplied with FreeBSD really isn't a compiler but a frontend
to f2c and gcc. Loading and unloading f2c and gcc consumes much time
and many resources. You may feed f77 a string of modules to process
but the way processing is done requires individual loads. Executions
speeds are not favorable either but a factor of two like I am seeing
is usually a bad optimization option. Since I am using defaults in
both cases, both compiler's likely have a faster combination. The
factor of two is about the same range as the Intel Pentium/iMac
benchmark comparison. Apple was making a big deal about the speed of
their iMac and the Intel Pentium. It turned out that Apple was
compiling the PC program for a 386, which was the default cpu, and
when PC Magazine used the 586 instruction set, the PC benchmark was
suddenly 4 times faster. The Intel machine went from half the speed of
the iMac to twice the speed. This also indicates that they were
probably much closer overall because each would have it's + and -'s
and benchmark differences have a tendancy to be smoothed out in the
real world. State changes on the Motorola cpu's have always been
better than Intel.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html