Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:44:24 +0200
From:      "Nick Hibma" <n_hibma@van-laarhoven.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        "Thomas Quinot" <thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org>, "freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xpt_bus_deregister

> This depends on how the device is lost.  Layers above the SIM
> can decide when a device is considered lost based on the types
> of status your SIM reports.  For example, in parallel SCSI,
> a single selection timeout may not indicate that the device is
> lost, but several in a row may.  The SIM cannot just assume the
> device is lost after a single selection timeout.
>
> Many drivers use this event to reset their negotiation table so
> that they will renegotiate the next time the system attempts to
> talk to the "lost device".  This can happen in hot-plug situations.

I presume that with this you are trying to say that AC_LOST_DEVICE could
come from different sources, outside the SIM and the SIM might want to reset
is internal state on the device. I understand that.

But in the case of the ATAPI/CAM layer he wants to use it to detach the SIM.
That sounds a bit odd to me because the only sources of a SIM disconnect I
can think of are:
- hardware, e.g. disconnection of PCMCIA card
- unloading of the driver

And in both cases the driver that created the SIM initiates the removal of
the SIM.

Nick