Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 17:41:26 -0400
From:      Lee Reese <lee@gwinnett.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Viability of -current for Usenet News

Marc van Kempen wrote:

> > We have been having quite a bit of trouble running a Usenet News server
> > over the last 8 months.  The machine in question is a dual Pentium Pro
> > with 256MB and a DPT 3334UW Raid Controller.
> >
> > What I would like to do is convince the Sysadmin that FreeBSD might be a
> > better platform than Slackware Linux for administering the server.  The
> > machine would be running INN 2.0.  We have seen severe buffering
> > problems with the RAID controller and Linux in its present state.  Could
> > anyone give any reasons why FreeBSD may be a superior OS for such an
> > application so I can convince the Sysadmin to switch?  Thanks.

I did it! Thanks, guys.

Now for some stupid questions...

I already have the machine set up with two arrays: 2 - 2GB Drives in
RAID 1 and Six 4.5GB Drives in RAID 5.  I have a CAM boot floppy for
the 7-12-98 Snapshot, which cannot access the array to install.  I know
there used to be a boot floppy for the DPT controller, but I do not see
it in the /floppies directory or a link to one when searching the
mailing list archives.  Is there a place I can download a floppy or has
instructions to make it myself?  Thanks.

Lee