Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:21:43 +0100
From:      Sven Esbjerg <esbjerg@xbsd.net>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for something to do?

NB! This is not a bug report just a general feeling after some hours using
gnome-2.5.
Machine is:
FreeBSD enzo.home.xbsd.net 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #1: Fri Dec 26
08:43:18 CET 2003     root@enzo.home.xbsd.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ENZO  i386

Dual P-III 800MHz. 1GB RAM. 1 UDMA 100 IDE Seagate IV.
Matrox G550. Plextor SCSI CD-ROM and CD-RW. Creative IDE DVD drive.

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 01:30:10AM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> If you like GNOME and like seeing it on FreeBSD, and you're interested
> in lending a hand, there are a few TODO items you can help out with.
>
> set the following in /etc/make.conf to aid with debugging:
>
> CFLAGS=	"-O -g pipe"
> STRIP=

I started from scratch.

Hmmm... weird. Ports like python complains that -g is not understood and then
fails...
Removed the line and everything installed fine.

> * gstreamer[-plugins]: Make sure your favorite plug-in works.  Try
> testing out gst-capable apps such as rhythmbox, gst-mixer,
> nautilus-media, etc.

In rythmbox when I try to use one of the radio stations it reports loading
forever and uses a lot of cpu time.
Screenshot: http://xbsd.net/~esbjerg/gnome25/rythmbox-radio.png
Radio stations work fine from xmms.
Rhythmbox seems like a slow monster but is able to play mp3 with/without esd
running.

> * gnome-network: This is a new suite in GNOME 2.5.  It allows you to
> launch remote RSH and SSH sessions as well as offers a MacOS X
> netinfo-like app that lets you run ping, traceroute, whois, etc.  While
> the interface info is not complete yet, all of the various network tests
> should work.

Devices-Information: Hardware address not showing and Links speed not
showing.
Devices-Statistics: not showing
Most of it works. The ssh thingy which starts a terminal with ssh is quite
slow - I would never use it.
Also the gnome-terminal is something of a cpu hog compared to xterm. When
gnome-terminal is showing top it uses 5-7% cpu time. When xterm is doing the
same it uses around 1.2% cpu time.

> * Evolution 1.5: This is a biggie.  Besides general functionality, you
> should be checking to make sure pops and imaps work correctly.  Note:
> Evo bugs can be filed using bug-buddy, but the Bugzilla tool can be
> found at http://bugzilla.ximian.com.

Unstable... It starts but cannot be closed on my machine. Had to do a kill -9
on it. Also the calendar is not working. Clicking on the calendar button
doesn't give a new view.

Other findings. Font rendering not quite good. Some fonts are smacked halfway
onto each other in the terminal using system font. In xterms I get artifacts
from text.
Screenshot: http://xbsd.net/~esbjerg/gnome25/font-artifacts.png
	notice the xterm bottom to the left. In the bottom there are some lines
	underscores. Also notice some of the filenames which are missing
	underscores. This is with xterm -fa monospace -fs 8 (1280x1024)
Screenshot: http://xbsd.net/~esbjerg/gnome25/gnome-term-sys-font.png
	showing crammed together fonts
Screenshot: http://xbsd.net/~esbjerg/gnome25/gnome-term-monospace-8.png
	showing nice fonts with monospace 8

Cdplayer still defaults to /dev/acd0c which is not used on 5.x anymore.
Changing this to /dev/acd0 works - for my IDE dvd drive.
Cdplayer still doesn't work with my SCSI drives...

Nautilus cd-burn works as far as creating an image. It starts a dialog which
states it's going to burn the CD but nothing happens. My cd-writer is plextor
SCSI drive which might explain this.
Using cdrecord to burn the created image works fine.
Screenshot: http://xbsd.net/~esbjerg/gnome25/cd-NOT-burn.png

Menu Accessebility-Dasher is missing an icon.

Not sure I like the new nautilus look... 8{

Anyway thanx for all the hard work creating the ports.

Sven Esbjerg
--
http://www.usenet.dk/netikette - på forhånd tak.