Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 13:13:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        matrix@norilsk.ru (Artem Koutchine)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need help with dynamic IP TCP/IP dial-up

> 	I have a really big problem. I have a server running FreeBSD 2.1.0 with
> 5 telephone line and i need to allow user to connect to the server using
> dynamic IP (TCP/IP, PPP). I am kinda new to FreeBsd and i couldn't even
> find anything in the dox about making a spool of IP address and dynamicly
> allocating them during connection and then deallocating when a user leaves.

The solution to this problem is more obvious that you thought: the IP
addresses don't have to be dynamic *to the server*.  Just setup each of
the 5 lines as a dial-in PPP line with a fixed IP address.  The clients
must be ready to accept whatever IP addresses are given to them, as they
may reach a different port on each dial-in.

> By now several people how tried to help me (not from questions@freebsd.org)
> and they were talking about installing geted instead of routed. They said
> that i
> need gated in order to allow local networks (for example, with NT server)
> to connect to my server via static ip. Is that true ?

Routed *should* be able to handle this.  It depends in part on what IP
addresses you're routing for the dial-ups; are the users dialing in
from a single system or another network which must be routed?  If so,
are the dial-up networks separate network addresses, or subnets of
your network address?