Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 08:29:07 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Wilde, Donald" <dwilde@sandia.gov>
Cc:        Frank Altpeter <frank@altpeter.de>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: change in iwi-firmware operation

> Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 07:44:34 -0600
> From: "Wilde, Donald" <dwilde@sandia.gov>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org

It is not hard on the flash as the iwi (and many other newer cards)
don't have flash at all. They use RAM, which is much less expensive. It
saves money, but means that the "firmware" must be loaded after every
power cycle.

It's a real pain and, because of the wording of the license, the
firmware may not be included in the FreeBSD distribution. That's why the
port to get the firmware.

Note that this applies to Intel and Broadcom based cards, but others do
allow the inclusion of the binary in distributions, so you don't need to
install a port for the Atheros or most Asian parts.

With margins on these things is razor thin, saving a few cents on RAM
vs. flash can be the difference between a successful product and a
failure.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)