Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 14:45:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus.flash.net>
To:        dwalton@psiint.com (Dave Walton)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What can you do with device uk0?

In reply:
> > you are probably jumpered for a type 7 device...  just rejumper it for type 0..
> > jumpers, dipswitches, whatever...
>
> Type 7? Type 0?  I haven't heard those terms before.  What do you mean?

changing it to a type 0 will make it look like a removable hard disk.  please
read the docs that came with the drive for how to change it.  but then again,
you may have to call fujitsu and get a manual.

> > how much you pay fer the fujitsu?
>
> I got it for $680 back when most places had it for $780.  But they're a
> LOT cheaper now.

ouch... only $499 for the ibm drive at computer city...  lousy manual, shipped
with drive from Nu-Design...  I called IBM and got the extremely well-written
212 page manual and only then could i access the drive under freebsd.

> Hey...  Anyone know where I can get a Pinnacle Micro Apex for dirt cheap
> (preferably free :) ?

nope.  but i can say this with certainty: the ONLY difference between the
Pinnacle and the Fujitsu is the ID string.  This information came through a
discussion with their product manager concerning getting a list of
vendor-unique SCSI commands for the drive.  The Apex IS the current Fujitsu
drive with a different paint job, and one return string changed.

So if you see the Fujitsu cheaper, buy it, it's the same thing.

230M m-o disks, 100-year warranty, $25/each, quant disc avail, email me!@#

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or