Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:58:10 +0000
From:      George Cox <gjvc@gjvc.com>
To:        courtney@whtz.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting a floppy

On 17/02 18:52, courtney@whtz.com wrote:

>      I have a question that to many will seem very remedial, but since I
> have never had a need for it, I never learned how to do it :-)
>
> How do I properly mount/unmount a floppy disk (1.4 MB) right now

'right now'?  You mean 'this second'?  Well you can use

  mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

but you don't have to mount the disc.  You can use mtools instead.  The
commands mdir, mcopy, mdel and friends let you copy stuff to and from the
device itself and the filesystem on the machine.

  cd /usr/ports/emulators/mtools && make install

> I do "mount /dev/fd0 /mnt" and it lets me see the disk, but how can it
> un-mout it?

  umount /mnt  (or umount /mnt/floppy in my example above)

> Also, how can I format a floppy once it's mounted in FreeBSD 3.2?

Hrmmmmm.  You NEVER format a filesystem once it's mounted.  EVER.

man fdformat

gjvc

--
[gjvc]