Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 10:50:48 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        "Walter A. Roberts" <wroberts@med.wayne.edu>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Adaptec 1542c and Exabyte 8200/tar: Device not config

On Friday, 25 February 2000 at 12:55:43 -0700, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 17:20:19 -0500, Walter A. Roberts wrote:
>> Dear folks:
>>
>> I was referred to this list for possible help on the problems with a recent
>> installation of 3.2 BSD related to a need for SCSI.  I swapped out my
>> adaptec 1502 cheapie for a 1542c since the CAM drivers don't support the
>> 1502 and I had the 1542c on the shelf, thinking this would be easy.  Sigh.
>>
>> I would be willing to write a driver for the 1502, but I've never written
>> UNIX drivers, just VMS drivers so I'm not sure how steep the learning curve
>> would be, but if any of you'd be willing to coach a little I could give it a
>> whack.
>
> FreeBSD 3.4 and FreeBSD-current have a driver for the AIC-6260 and 6360
> chips that are on the 1502, so you don't need to write a driver. :)
>
>> I mainly (actually only) need the scsi on the UNIX side to read a tar file
>> off an EXABYTE EXB-8200 scsi drive.  If there's no hope for the present
>> situation, if anyone knew of a way to get the stuff on the MS side onto
>> other media (via the 1502/EXB), without a lot of contortions that would work
>> too, although I know this part is way off the track of this list.
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can be.  Technical details follow.
>
> It should be possible to use an Exabyte 8200.  They're known to be rather
> cantankerous, though.

I have a couple of 8200s which don't work on current versions of
FreeBSD.  They have a marginally different command set which doesn't
understand certain basic SCSI commands; they probe like this:

sa1 at sym0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
sa1: <EXABYTE EXB-8200 254A> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-CCS device
sa1: 3.300MB/s transfers

The microcode revision (254A) is the key here.  They don't understand
mode sense correctly, so just about any attempt to access them gives
the messages:

Feb 27 10:46:48 panic /kernel: (sa1:sym0:0:5:0): MODE SENSE(06). CDB: 1a 0 0 0 c 0
Feb 27 10:46:48 panic /kernel: (sa1:sym0:0:5:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST info?:1fff

Don't worry about the "panic": that's the name of my test machine :-)

That's the Exabyte that's being slow.  They take forever to load and
get started.

> Does camcontrol rescan hang the whole system, or is it just that process
> that is hung, or what?

I haven't seen this on any combination I've tried.

>> scbus0 on aha0 bus 0:
>> <EXABYTE EXB-8200 425A>            at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (probe0)
>> <  >                               at scbus0 target -1 lun -1 ()

It's possible that this microcode version will be OK.

Greg