Date:      Sun, 03 Jun 2012 19:19:13 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        erob@gthcfoundation.org, Adam Strohl <adams-freebsd@ateamsystems.com>, Etienne Robillard <animelovin@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

Hi,

On 03 June 2012 PM 5:42:55 Adam Strohl wrote:
> On 6/3/2012 17:24, Etienne Robillard wrote:
> I feel like this thread is grossly overstating how often ports are
> broken which is super rare in my experience. Proposing a version'd ports
> tree seems like a bad-practice-encouraging-solution to a problem that
> doesn't really exist [in my experience].

do a simple thing. Install a naked 8.3, 9.0 or 10.0 on a fresh hard disk. Get then the ports tree and start compiling X.

I did not get a running system since at least 2007 when I did this. There was always at least one manual intervention needed.

I did this the last time in the first week of May.

Yes, I know how to fix this. Yes, I reported things like this at the beginning. After getting always the answer that it is working on my machine, I stopped reporting it.

Erich