Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:40:36 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        phil@ipal.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing 3.1 from CD

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999 23:06:36 EST, phil@ipal.net wrote:

> All the harddrives are IDE, and in removeable trays that prevent
> attaching the CDROM as primary slave.  If FreeBSD can't handle this
> situation, I just want someone know really knows to tell me that so I
> can stop wasting time with it.

Stop wasting time with it. :-)

FreeBSD currently does not handle CDROMs configured as masters on any
given IDE channel. Just for the record, this configuration is against
the specs, but that obviously is small comfort for you, because (as
you've pointed out) at least two other operating systems support the
non-standard configuration you have.

You may get better results with more recent versions of FreeBSD. Try
asking on the freebsd-stable mailing list whether anyone has a CDROM
configured as master on the secondary channel and managed to install
FreeBSD using that configuration. If so, the release that they managed
to install will be of interest to you.

Later,
Sheldon.