Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:58:03 +1000
From:      "Danny" <dannyho@bigpond.net.au>
To:        <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading using /stand/sysinstall

Dear Gregory,

I found the old files by typing in /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb -

locate master.passwd

backup# ls
aliases.bak             group.bak2              master.passwd.bak2
group.bak               master.passwd.bak
backup# pwd
/var/backups

When you say I should merge them to the new password files does it mean I
issue the following commands to copy the old passwords, groups overs

cat aliases.bak > /etc/aliases
cat group.bak > /etc/group
cat master.passwd.bak > /etc/master.passwd

 Yours faithfullly

dannyho@bigpond.net.au