Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 07:53:26 -0500
From:      Steve Dickson <steved@4Dicksons.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Persario 5360 will not boot 4.7

Hello,

I have a Compaq Persario 5360 and I'm trying to install 4.7.
The problem is I can not get the system to boot off 3.5"
floppy drive. The system is old enough so booting off the
cd-rom is not possible.

I know you can boot off the floppy driver because I can boot
DOS and I'm sure the diskette that has the kern.flp bits is ok
because I've used it to boot other machines. Actually I want out
and got brand new diskettes thinking that might be the problem...

I created the floppy on a linux machine by doing a dd if=kern.flp
of=/dev/fd0
I also try using the fdimage.exe binary on win98 and still no luck.

The system does see  diskette because the green access light goes on
but then it goes off and the screen is blank with the cursor blinking in
the upper left hand corner. Curiously enough, Alt-Cntl-Del will reboot
(or restart) the system so something is running somewhere.....

The BIOS is relativity simple and I've probably tried every thing that
look interesting to try.... It almost seem like they (Compaq) has made
so the bios will only boot Windows..... If that is the case Compaq/HP
should be shot....

Has anybody seen anything like this?
Any ideas on how to debug this?

Thanks,