Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2012 12:06:37 +0400
From:      "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx@redfish-solutions.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mapping from rtm_flags back to MIB IANAipRouteProtocol value

On 25.07.2012 02:54, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Ok, dumb question... How do I map a routing entries rtm_flags back to a IANAipRouteProtocol value?

Well, something like this can probably be used:

~RTF_GATEWAY   maps to local     (2),  -- local interface
RTF_STATIC     maps to    netmgmt   (3),  -- static route
RTF_DYNAMIC    maps to    icmp      (4),  -- result of ICMP Redirect

other routes?         other     (1),  -- not specified

RTF_PROTO1     tells us thet it is dynamic route, and you have to use
quagga/bird/openbgpd/whatever cli / api to get more precise results.

You can examine `netstat -rn -finet` output with netstat(8) to get good
overview for common route types.