Date:      Thu, 04 Feb 1999 15:27:11 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ldconfig and libraries

> The paragraph above worries me. I've always had a sense that the people
> determining directions for FreeBSD are people who are "abiding by a
> code", in a sense -- that they know The Right Thing and try to keep
> things as pure as possible.

Your sense is correct.  That's pretty much how we try to do things,
even when we're compromising on something since it effects the degree
and the nature of such compromises.

> Is this a misperception? If the vast majority of users wanted something
> that was an incredibly bad idea, would it be adopted within FreeBSD or
> turfed out?

Not an incredibly bad idea, no.  An idea which had some bad aspects to
it but was overall something which was really really needed, that
might be a compromise candidate, however.

- Jordan