Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 17:03:35 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tool make ordering, or something

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Pete Carah wrote:

> There is a 't' modifier to a format in bin/sh that just crept in;
> it prevents a cross buildworld under stable without NO_WERROR.
>
> Perhaps the compiler+libc needs to be built first?  (and does sh
> need to be a build tool; I'd hope the make scripts stuck to a
> fairly least-common-denominator shell syntax?)

Only some internal bootstrap utilities for sh are built because sh
is a build-tool.  It is these utility that need to be portable and
not use new features like %t.

$ grep %t /usr/src/bin/sh/*
/usr/src/bin/sh/arith.y:%token ARITH_NUM ARITH_LPAREN ARITH_RPAREN
/usr/src/bin/sh/jobs.c:		fmtstr(s, 64, "[%td] ", jp - jobtab + 1);
/usr/src/bin/sh/mksyntax.c:		fprintf(cfile, "      %td,\n", p - digit);
                ^^^^^^^^^^ bootstrap utility                  ^^ unportable

Bruce