Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 12:03:49 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
Cc:        server-linux@netscape.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SYN floods - possible solution[ALT]? (fwd)

Michael Dillon wrote:

> Now here is something that could be used by sites to protect against SYN
> flood attacke assuming that they can build a special custom box with
> enough RAM to buffer the sockets for 30 seconds or more. How high a rate
> can SYN floods come in at? I've heard of 1,000 per sec which implies that
> this box needs to hold open 30,000 to 75,000 potential sockets. Is there
> any problem within IPv4 (seq #'s?) that would make this inherently
> impossible?
>
> Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
> Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
> http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com

As an optimisation,
what about the following..
there is no need to ping the following sites.
1/ A site for which this is the FIRST (or even second) SYN
2/ A site for which we already have a verified connection

the weakness in 1/ is that the hackers could use sequentially
incrementing source addresses,

It might not be neccesary to even switch on this mode if there are < N
syn requests per second, or < N Incomplete channels..