Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:56:53 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <iceberg@pobox.com>
To:        "Derek Jewett" <djewett@snowcrest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding users...

> Running 3.1-R, I want to import users from a comma delimited file
> (exported from a large Windows NT domain) into my passwd database...
> Is there a utility for this type of stuff... thanks!

i don't know of any utility _per se_, but it can be done _very_
quickly with Awk and a shell script.  for example, if your file
contains just 'username,real name' on each line, then use the
script:

----------
#!/bin/sh

while read line
do
    fields=`echo $line | awk 'BEGIN { FS = "," } { print $1, $2 }'`
    username=`echo $fields | (read username realname; echo $username)`
    realname=`echo $fields | (read username realname; echo $realname)`
    /usr/sbin/pw useradd $username -c "$realname"
done

call it, say, 'add_nt_users.sh'.  then run

	$ ./add_nt_users.sh <nt_user_data

and you're on your way.  see awk(1) and sh(1) for more details.
you can obviously tailor the script to add handling for lots of
fields...

Lucas
--
                             S. Lucas Bergman