Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 15:24:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        rnordier@nordier.com, eivind@yes.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning

>> My own concern would be the amount of code in third-party programs
>> that uses gccisms.
> Very few programs *should* use gccisms.  If they do, they are broke
> since they won't build on other OS's compilers.

Not necessarily; ifdef's are common:

  #ifndef __GCC__
  #define inline
  #endif

I'm not discussing what should be, I'm discussing what is.  We have a
good percentage of software from the Linux camps, and many of their
software authors wouldn't know a non-portable construct if it walked
up and introduced itself in assembly code.

>> I guess I don't see why we're looking to change.
> Better/faster/less buggy compiler with a much less restrictive Copyright
> seems like a win overall to me.

I've seen two compile speed tests and one emitted-code benchmark.  So
far, they indicate that while TenDRA normally compiles faster, its
generated code is slower than gcc.  I don't know of any bugs in C for
gcc 2.7.2.1, and it has a larger user base to find bugs than TenDRA or
XANDF.  In what ways are these other compilers superior to gcc?
(Don't interpret this as belligerence or blind support of gcc; I'm
actually asking for information here.)

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan
   Fourth law of programming: