Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 07:42:17 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        des@flood.ping.uio.no
Subject:   Re: Results of investigating optimizing calloc()...

Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no> wrote:
>Which reminds me - has anyone thought of using DMA for zeroing pages,
This sounds reasonable.  Some DMA engines support filling regions
and memory-memory copies, but I'm not sure about what can be done
with the DMA engine(s) in PCs.

> The idea is to keep a chunk of zeroes on disk and DMA it into memory
Have you looked at disk latencies recently?  A modern CPU could zero-
fill a decent fraction of its RAM in the time taken to fetch a page of
zeroes from the platter.  And if it was accessed frequently enough to
keep the zeroed page in disk cache, you've just moved the bottleneck
into that disk controller (and you've reduced the effective size of the
disk's cache by a page).

Peter