Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 1995 23:56:16 +0100 (MET)
From:      roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, phk@ref.tfs.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Disappearing space in root fs.

> >I see it too.  Are you saying that unlink(2) doesn't really work ?
>
> rename(2) doesn't really work:
>
> 	touch x y; mv x y
>
> leaves the previous inode of y unreferenced!

Another sympthom is : do a make install in sbin/bin/lkm with not enough
space on it to contain all the / executables and two kernels (that is my
current situation, my root partition size is inherited from my 1.1.5.1
setup and is only 12 MB).

At some point it will say "No space left on device" and all the binaries
that were not installed take space till the next fsck :-(

Easely reproductible here. That's the main reason I've never been able to
complete any 2.* "make world" :-((( I don't have the DAT/Exabyte yet that
would enable me to backup everything and reinstall so I must wait for
some decent backup device or buy a new hard drive...

--
Ollivier ROBERT     -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-     roberto@FreeBSD.ORG
   FreeBSD keltia 2.1.0-Development #9: Sat Feb 18 19:21:00 MET 1995