Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:35:11 GMT
From:      r.yeardley@dial.pipex.com (Richard Yeardley)
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: firewall with SOCKS5, UDP, ICQ

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:13:52 -0800, it was written:

>At 06:23 AM 2/10/99 , Drew Derbyshire wrote:
>>I've got a firewall running FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE.  Because the ICQ Windows
>>client longs for UDP support, I've installed the  socks5-v1.0r8 server, but
>>keep seeing the following errors:
>>
>>Feb 10 09:07:31 pandora Socks5[9147]: Socks5 starting at Wed Feb 10 09:07:31
>>1999 from inetd
>>Feb 10 09:07:31 pandora Socks5[9147]: UDP Proxy Request:
>>(lucia.hh.kew.com:1177) for user thomas
>>Feb 10 09:07:31 pandora Socks5[9147]: UDP Proxy Established:
>>(lucia.hh.kew.com:1178) for user thomas
>
>Those aren't errors. Socks5 likes to log everything to wherever root is
>logged in.

If memory serves me running ./configure --withsyslog=NO when building
Socks5 stops the message logging.  You'd better check the configure
script just in case I've mis-spelled the option.

>>Now, I don't care about the errors per se, but the general functionality of
>>the ICQ client behind the firewall is affected by as opposed to on a bare dial
>>connection is noticeable, such as server time outs and the like.

Same here - I can't receive files (which isn't an ICQ problem but a
firewall/socks problem) and more often than not sending a message
(either directly or through the icq servers) hangs for around five
minutes.  Some days it's fine, others it isn't.

>I've noticed the same thing for a while. What seems to work for me
>(finally) is ICQ 99a (www.icq99.com), with the SOCKS5 server set (internal
>and external IPs, no hostnames), 'Always use Real IP' off, and I did an
>nslookup on icqalpha.mirabilis.com and entered all of the IP addresses into
>my servers list, one-by-one.

Slightly off-topic but any ideas when ICQ99 will be beyond alpha
release?

>BTW, I'm running from a cable modem with a static IP.

V90 modem with dynamic IP, using ipfw, socks5, and apache as proxy
server.  Currently serving a 95 box and an NTWS box with Internet
access.

Erm, that's just in case anyone was interested.

>--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )
>ICQ UIN: 692441 (  ludwigp@email.com  )

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message

FBSD3.0 : AMD PR75 : 32MB RAM : 335MD HD : V90 modem : NE2000 NIC
apache 1.3.4+PHP3 : named : qpopper: socks5 : ipfw : mysql : samba