Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:32:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Kletsky <Jeff@wagsky.com>
To:        Kevin Way <kevin.way@overtone.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg/port dependency tool (enclosed)

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Kevin Way wrote:

> Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:28:09 -0400
> From: Kevin Way <kevin.way@overtone.org>
> To: Jeff Kletsky <Jeff+freebsd@wagsky.com>
> Cc: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: pkg/port dependency tool (enclosed)
>
> Great Work!
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I found one additional gotcha.
> It would appear that your script doesn't find build dependancies, as they
> don't seem to be recorded anywhere in /var/db/pkg (see www/mod_php4 for
> an example).  My apologies if that's what you meant by the third item
> in your TODO.

Yes, I believe we are considering the same issues.  There are a whole set
of dependencies, FETCH, BUILD, RUN, and DEPEND (which are nasty hacks) to
be considered. I'm taking a few days to sort out in my mind what the
default behaviour should be and actually write a spec as to what needs to
be done. For example, if a package was successfuly built before, my gut
feeling is that it should not be rebuilt if *only* a BUILD dependency
changes. Of course, there should be an override for this.

Another issue that I have experienced is "orphans" -- I seem to recall
that one version of Tcl/Tk was built on my system to support pppload, but
now a different major version would be built. The old versions would then
not be required and appear as "sink nodes" in the revised graph. I don't
think that they should be deleted (they may be used by non-port/pkg
applications), but should be identified.

The USE_* issue seems to be a non-issue, as those seem to be shortcuts
that expand themselves out into the FETCH, BUILD, RUN, and DEPEND
dependencies.

Finally the "I need a fresh install of Gnome" problem should be resolvable
by working the graph "backwards" from Gnome to get a list of files, then
applying the "normal" algorithm to the list of files generated.

> If you would like any assistance in completing your TODO, I'd be more than
> willing to help.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted...

It may be a while, as I said, I need to digest all of this into a set of
requirements for the product and actually do some design for the next
round. This clearly includes the ability to work in concert with the
existing tools (pkg_*) as well as being abstracted and modular in a manner
to permit easy extension to any future package management system.

Jeff