Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 13:56:03 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hans@artcom.de, julian@ivision.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 12.0 GB Quantum Bigfoot TX IDE seen as 8.4 GB

> Hmm, the LBA hack in -current is NOT stable, its a quickhack that
> should go again (I should know, I made it :) ), but the code
> that enables CHS mode on larger than 8G drives could be argued
> about. I'm just not sure that the added stuff doesn't break
> on older WD & ESDI drives, that should be tested first.

OK. I'm hardly about to argue for the adoption of anything which is
manifestly suspect (which the LBA stuff sounds like), don't get me
wrong, it'd just be nice not to get beaten up by all the Bigfoot users
when 2.2.7 comes out.  If the CHS stuff sounds less risky, then the
sooner it comes into -stable the better since that'll give us the
maximum amount of time before 2.2.7 to test.  Also don't forget - it's
a lot easier to back something out of -stable again if we get real
negative feedback, but it's a lot harder if we wait until the last
week before BETA and then don't give ourselves any time at all.
That's sorta what happened with the compatibility slice debacle. :(

- Jordan