Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2018 12:41:42 +0900
From:      Denis Polygalov <dpolyg@gmail.com>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
Cc:        Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>, x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does either Gnome or KDE support Wayland on FreeBSD? [EOM]

Hi Grzegorz,
"Currently FreeBSD supports Wayland compositor" - this statement is too gen=
eral.
To my knowledge the situation is like follows.
Currently FreeBSD support Wayland (protocol) out of the box, just type:
$ pkg install wayland
In order to be able to see anything on the screen (or in a window created b=
y X)
you need a so called "Wayland compositor".
In a world of Wayland the compositor is _the_ heavy stuff with wide
range of dependencies.
On FreeBSD currently there is no Wayland compositor available "out of
the box" i.e. from packages for example, so you have to compile one of
them by yourself.
Reference Wayland compositor - "Weston" is not in the ports tree yet but yo=
u can
find FreeBSD port for it under review here:
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D10599?id=3D28017
In order to use Weston or any other Wayland compositor you need at least:
11.2-RELEASE FreeBSD
drm-stable-kmod installed from ports
mesa-libs compiled from ports with Wayland support
Any other dependencies may differ for different Wayland compositors.
The Weston for example require custom kernel with evdev enabled.
kwin_wayland may require something else...
Another Wayland compositor I manage to get run on a GENERIC 11.2 kernel is
graphics/qt5-wayland.

Hope this helps.
Denis.