Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2020 17:44:19 +0000
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 12.0 end-of-life

On 18/Feb/2020 17:19, Tomasz CEDRO wrot> But also as this DRM user (for
Intel and AMD) I have experienced the
> related hiccups, problems, and problems solutions. It does not look
> like a FreeBSD way, but more like Linux way. I never noticed anything
> like this before. Sure, I can see this only as the end-user, maybe
> tester, I did no commits, so in theory I cannot complain, but it seems
> like more experienced kernel people could take part in this kind of
> solution architecture and design right from start in order to prevent
> avalanche of future problems and problematic solutions that will
> generate more problems.
>
> Another problem is the VirtualBox virtualization that is not really
> usable anymore. I am aware of closed-source VBox Guest Additions
> problem. My VM works fine for a first minute or two but then it stops
> when I start working on it. With DRM and Framebuffer X11 drivers so it
> does not seem related.

Both the DRM issue and VirtualBox are fixed by making sure you recompile
and install the kernel modules from the source in /usr/ports when you
upgrade the OS, or if 'pkg upgrade' overwrites them. Its a bit
annnoying, but hardly a showstopper I find.

VirtualBox done this way is perfectly stable for me, as is DRM these days.

cheers,

-pete.

PS; If you are running VirtualBox on top of ZFS then make sure you have
the approrpiate AIO tunings in sysctl.conf though.