Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 1998 14:22:43 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "pat.groce@state.sd.us" <pat.groce@state.sd.us>, "Phillip Salzman" <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: unix is a problem: free bsd doesn't help

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998 19:01:54 +0000 (GMT), Phillip Salzman wrote:

>simple, most people aren't clueless

I'm not suggesting that 3.0R not be available, just that you won't be
able to get it without reading.  The current link to boot floppies
points to 3.0R floppies, and I'm suggesting that this is a bad idea.
It should point to 2.2.7 floppies.  If you took the time to read, you
could find the 3.0R floppies.  I also like the idea of a web page with
the bullets I mentioned previously, with a statement saying "I
certify..." just as an attempt to get the point across. Pat will
probably spread negative thoughts about freebsd, based on his bad
experiences, even though it was his own fault.  I doubt he'll ever
believe it was his fault.  We should protect freebsd's reputation by
preventing people who won't read the release notes from getting 3.0R
easily.

BTW, if they've been running a mail server for 4 years, it wasn't 2.2.7
anyway.  He still would have been caught with his pants down because of
changes in /etc config files.  They should have been tracking freebsd
(he didn't mention it, AFAIK).
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.