Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:09:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        "Jason K. Fritcher" <jkf@wolfnet.org>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot-time scsi probe problem

I haven't read the list in a while, but I just started putting 3.1-REL on
a new news machine with an ASUS-P2B-LS mobo.  It has the internal 7890 and
a 2940-U2W card as well.  I get the exact same results with about one in
five warm boots.

Is there any more news on this problem?  Some info I haven't seen posted
before follows:

7890 bios version: 2.01
2940-U2W bios version: 2.01.0

'boot -v' shows the hang right after trying to talk to the first target
after the "waiting for scsi devices to settle" message.  Since I wrote it
all down, I'll share...

(noperiph:ahc0:0:-1:-1): scsi bus reset delivered 0 SCBs aborted
(noperiph:ahc1:0:-1:-1): scsi bus reset delivered 0 SCBs aborted
ahc1: Selection Timeout on A:3. 1 SCB aborted
ahc0: Selection Timeout on A:5. 1 SCB aborted
*(this repeats, alternating from one controller to another with a random
number appearing each time after the "A:")
ahc0: target 0 using 16 bit transfers
ahc0: target 0 synchronous at 20.0 MHz, offset=0xf

That's it.  Each time the target may be different, but it always hangs
right after the first "target" message and always on ahc0, which is the
built-in 7890.

I also didn't see the problem until I compiled my own kernel.  After many
reboots on the generic kernel I never saw this.

thanks,

Charles

---
Charles Sprickman
spork@super-g.com
---
                     "...there's no idea that's so good you can't
                      ruin it with a few well-placed idiots."