Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 17:22:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu, michaelh@cet.co.jp, netdev@roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx, roque@di.fc.ul.pt, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org, smpdev@roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx
Subject:   Re: SMP

> > What do you have to say about treating the cache line coherency?
> > Is it necessary, or is it automatic?
>
> I don't have a clue.  I was under the belief that we have a MESI compliant
> board to deal with, but I could easily be wrong about that.

You are wrong for the BeBox and the SMP PowerMac PPC603 hardware,
which are only MEI (no 'S').  I don't know how Intel-centric you
are, but I'd just as soon see an entry under SMP, seperate from
the CPU architecture, in the build tree.

> Cache flushing:
>
> The processor can generate special flush and write-back bus cycles
> that must be used by external caches in a manner that maintains cache
> coherency.  The actual responses are implementation-specific and may
> vary from design to design.

Here's the (possible) stool sample in the flower arrangement... 8-(.
If you can attribute his problems to something else, though, I
will be very happy.  Like I said before, it is more likely that
your theory is correct (as you point out, you wrote the APIC_IO code).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---