Date:      Thu, 09 Apr 2020 13:38:27 -0700
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ars Technica article on FreeBSD new user experience

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 14:34:20 -0500 Kyle Evans kevans@freebsd=2Eorg said

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 2:05 PM Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd=2Eorg> wrote:
> >
> > Jim Salter has an article in Ars Technica discussing his experience
> > with FreeBSD 12=2E1 as a desktop:
> >
> > https://arstechnica=2Ecom/gadgets/2020/04/not-actually-linux-distro-revie=
w-freebsd-12-1-release/

> > There are some points in there that might involve misunderstanding,
> > but there are also a number of real issues raised about the experience
> > a new (or newish) desktop FreeBSD user will have=2E It will be a good
> > idea for us to examine these, and offer advice or corrections if
> > appropriate, and otherwise look how we can improve the FreeBSD
> > experience for new users=2E
>=20
> Random small collection of thoughts I had after reading this:
>=20
> 1=2E re: LiveCD/Amnesiac prompt, we really should indicate the expected
> credentials=2E=2E=2E we already do special stuff in release/ for install
> media, my initial impression is that this shouldn't be all too hard=2E
>=20
> 2=2E re: default shell and niceties: complete agreement, IMO we should
> at least have basically usable history at a minimum
>=20
> 3=2E re: `pkg search xorg` -- that makes sense, given "pkg search xorg
> returns too many hits to fit on a single page of a text-mode console"=2E
> Looking at sample output for that specific inquiry:
>=20
> linux-c7-xorg-libs-7=2E7_8       Xorg libraries (Linux CentOS 7=2E7=2E1908)
> xorg-7=2E7_3                     X=2EOrg complete distribution metaport
> xorg-apps-7=2E7_4                X=2Eorg apps meta-port
> xorg-cf-files-1=2E0=2E6            X=2Eorg cf files for use with imake builds
> xorg-dmx-1=2E20=2E8,1              Distributed Multihead X from X=2EOrg
> xorg-docs-1=2E7=2E1,1              X=2Eorg documentation files
>=20
> I wonder if we shouldn't push the version numbers into a second column
> so it's easier to glean=2E
IMHO that's a really good idea=2E

On a similar note; may I humbly suggest that the current motd(5), while
informative, is a bit overwhelming to new users=2E Perhaps replace some
of it's current contents with a: To bootstrap a desktop on your new install
enter "pkg install xorg"=2E=2E=2E or something along those lines=2E Maybe just a
reference to a text document in examples that provides some suggestions/
solutions=2E

> The initial column with full pkgname is a bit
> too noisy for my eyes=2E Further, and this only really applies probably
> in conjunction with other potential problems and may be completely
> incorrect, but I think we should be giving our users something that
> they can just quickly slap onto a `pkg install ` line and have the
> greatest chance of doing the right thing=2E AFAICT pkg-search won't
> trigger a `pkg update` before the search, so by the time you actually
> pkg update+install the remote repo may not have that specific package
> (w/ version) anymore:
>=20
> 4=2E re: /proc, we should hold a separate discussion on this list about
> whether we can mount /proc by default with debugging facilities
> eradicated=2E
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20