Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:59:10 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>, Grigoriy Orlov <gluk@ptci.ru>
Subject:   Re: dirpref MFC to -stable: patch set to test

In message <200109190106.f8J16jv50999@earth.backplane.com>, Matt Dillon writes:
>    Ok folks, here is a patchset that MFC's the dirpref code from -current
>    to -stable.  I have done some very simple testing, but I need a couple
>    more eyes on the code.  I want to make sure that I have MFC'd all
>    necessary rcs pieces.

Looks good! All the relevant revisions appear to be included. There
should be no problems with switching back and forth between different
kernels or userlands; the kernel chooses defaults for the new
superblock parameters if necessary, and the old utilities (fsck,
newfs) ignore the new fields. I'm running with this patch now, so
I'll let you know if any problems crop up.

One thing I did notice was that the tunefs code has diverged
significantly from -current. Specifically, revisions 1.13 and 1.14
were not MFC'd. I haven't examined at these changes closely to see
if they are applicable to -stable, but it would be nice if they
could be MFC'd now to avoid further divergence.

Ian