Date:      Sun, 22 Jan 2012 08:27:50 -1000
From:      cliftonr@volcano.org
To:        Michael BlackHeart <amdmiek@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: global make -s

On 22.01.2012 03:54, Michael BlackHeart wrote:
> Hello, I'd like to know is there any good way to implement make -s
> behaivor as a default, 'cos in man make.conf & examplet/etc/make.conf
> there's no anything about it. In most cases I just don't want to see
> echo output of make. I've added an alias to .cshrc like this^
>
> alias make      make -s \!:1
>
> but I don't know could be there any negativity. Any advices?

You can set MAKEFLAGS=-s in your shell environment, or add -s to the
current value of MAKEFLAGS if you have one.  That should work.

IMHO this would be good practice only in a universe where everything
would
always work right.  In our own, this means anytime something goes
wrong,
you'll have no context for it.  If you don't mind having to change
flags
and rerun whatever make command failed, when something fails, to find
out
what went wrong where, it's your call.
-- Clifton

--