Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 00:37:16 +0300
From:      Antti-Pekka Liedes <apl@mail.cs.hut.fi>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding new syscalls, part two

On Thu, Apr 16, 1998 at 07:25:34AM +1000, John Birrell wrote:
> If you are going to play with new syscalls, it is wise to bump the minor
> version number of libc so that you don't hose the existing programs
> by replacing a good libc with a bad one. If you've already hosed your
> system by doing this and you don't have a backup of the last good libc,
> you can try deleting the bad library and creating a symlink to the last
> avialable shared libc. This might not work if the library is too old.

This is not a problem, I got my system working ok with an older libc.  I
"fixed" the libc problem by making syscalls from the original
syscalls.master, ie. without my new addition, and then compiled libc.  But
this is quite awkward, I would like to be able to make a working libc with
the new syscall added.

--
Antti-Pekka Liedes  *         apl@IRC        *  There's no sign of the
JMT 6 B 406         *        apl@iki.fi      *  morning coming, you've been