Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:54:44 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        drkhoe@gmsnet.com, Michael Slater <mikey@iexpress.net.au>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fact or Fiction (Unix vs NT)

Steve Hovey wrote:

> Plus they shoulda tested freebsd properly configured - I could not get
> anywhere near the performance I get from freebsd out of a linux box no
> matter what I tried.

There is no mass hype associated with FreeBSD and they also aren't
feeling market pressure from FreeBSD. I was in our Barns and Nobel
bookstore and they have more pure Linux books than they do NT. The
only generic Unix programming book was Greg's. I would say that MS
went David hunting and let Golaith win one. If a system doesn't have a
"+" over other systems somewhere, they disappear and Linux does not
appear to be going away and neither is NT.

I had a Staff Scientist at a US National Laboratory tell me a few
years ago that he figured that it takes about a year for users to
figure out which computer will run their program better. It may be an
Apple Power Mac, an Intel running Windows, a Sun, a massively
parallel, or whatever but after the first year the users know which
machine will run their problems the best. The users have to have a
heterogenous enviroment before they can begin the discovery process.
You have funnel vision in any other enviroment.

Kent

> > What I find interesting about this whole article is that it was "sponsored"
> > by Microsoft, and if you look under their Apache configuration,
> > MaxSpareServers = 290
> >
> > That means it would fire up potentially 290 spare threads for each
> > request, in effect throttling Linux's kernel...
> >
> > This puts their whole Linux/Unix know how in doubt, also, they claim Linux
> > only used 960megs of the 4gigs of RAM, when a kernel recompile could've fixed
> > the problem.  I doubt if they understood the effective use of swap space
> > either...
> >
> > -The Doc
> >
> > --
> > ------ drkhoe@gmsnet.com -------------- ++++++ ----------------------
> > ///// http://progmetal.gmsnet.com ----------------==== Unix systems -
> > C/C++ video game engine development =><=============== Administration
> > ===================== Intranet/Internet Engineering =================

> Steve Hovey
> Chief Network Administrator
> BuffNET         More Than Just a Connection!

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html