Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 22:50:26 -0500
From:      Ron Pritchett <pritchet@bigfoot.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will IPFW pass GRE packets?

At 04:33 PM 99/03/12 -0800, Doug White wrote:
>hello ...
>
>I wanted to check if IPFW will pass GRE packets in a standard config from
>3.0.  I'm trying to use the patched natd to translate PPTP packets and
>natd isn't seeing them (from what I can tell).  Is there anything special
>I should do to make sure IP proto 47 packets are getting in and out?
>
>Thanks for any hints...

Have you tried adding a "log" to your deny all statement and then run natd
from
the console with -v?

This is what I had to do when debugging PC Anywhere traffic:

1) Make a kernal with the IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE stuff, install, reboot the box.

2) look thru the process table and kill -15 natd. Run it manually with the
-v option
'natd -v -n vr0 -f /etc/natd.conf' in my case.

3) Alt-F2 to another screen.
then add a statement like 'ipfw add 64000 deny ip log from any to any'
(maybe a 'deny 47' would be needed instead of 'deny ip'???)

4) watch the fun ensue!

I hope this was helpful.
---
Ron++
Atlanta, GA

"This message has been digitally remastered and
 letterboxed to 16:9 format for your viewing pleasure."