Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2018 20:57:59 +0200
From:      "Reko Turja" <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Poudriere building far more ports than it should

Hello!

-----Original Message-----
From: Dmytro Bilokha

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 03:33:38AM +0200, reko.turja--- via freebsd-ports
wrote:

>> I finally took the hurdle and made a poudriere VM for building my ports
>> instead of building them on target system. At first I did however build
>> every single port I will need on the VM resulting on 240 or so ports.
>>
>> Then I copied over my options, and the list of installed ports  etc. and
>> started the build. For some reason poudriere wants to build a ton of
>> extra
>> baggage (360+ ports instead of 240.)

>Hello, Reko!

>Poudriere builds different kinds of ports:

> 1. Ports from your list.
> 2. Run-time dependencies of ports from your list. 3. Build-time
> dependecies of ports from your list.
< 4. Run-time and build-time dependencies of your ports dependencies, as
well

That all I know - Ive been using ports and only ports since early 2000's. So
the problem is that I made a dry run from ports, linking only to stuff that
I wanted on the final package receiver. Then I copied the list of ports over
to poudriere using portversion -oQ. When I started the run, there was
suddenly every single dependency I previously dropped brought in. (I know
about automake, autoconf and similar build dependencies.)

I guess one option would be blacklisting in poudriere those unneeded
dependencies which shouldn't be linked with my packages, if my options are
honoured by poudriere.

-Reko