Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 22:51:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "E. Jordan Bojar" <bojar@speakeasy.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: USB During 4.1-RELEASE Install

On 26-Sep-00 E. Jordan Bojar wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have been trying for the last couple of days to complete an install of
> 4.1-RELEASE off an iso CD-ROM.  At first, the whole procedure worked fine
> with my USB keyboard, allowing me to read the documentation, do a dry run
> without actually installing, etc.

USB keybaords don't work during installation.  From the sounds of it, you
have an Intel UHCI controller, which means that to get FreeBSD to see your
keyboard as the first one, you will need to disable the USB Legacy support
(othewrise FreeBSD sees both the legacy keyboard that the BIOS fakes and
the USB keyboard giving precedence to the legacy keybaord which goes away
when we probe the USB controller).  This has the downside that you won't be
able to use the keyboard in any of the bootstrap.  The kernel's userconfig
is another problem.  For now, use a PS/2 keyboard to do the install, and then
use a USB keyboard after installation.