Date:      Mon, 21 May 2012 13:24:14 +0200
From:      Uffe Jakobsen <uffe@uffe.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB over IP

Hi,

On 2012-05-21 12:46, Daniel Braniss wrote:
> I need to control some lab equipment with several usb based controllers
> (mostly serial) and was wondering if it can be done over IP, there is such a
> thing called usbip, but couldn't find what 'server' is needed.
> all the boxes I found are not cheep, but worse, only provide binaries
> for windows, or linux.

I'm not entirely sure about your setup - you write usb based controllers
- and then mostly serial...

I know it is not strictly speaking usb over ip - but did you look at RFC
2217 ?

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2217

There are several projects supporting RFC 2217:

http://ser2net.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sercd/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cyclades-serial/

"ser2net" and "sredird" are in FreeBSD ports:

http://www.freshports.org/comms/ser2net/
http://www.freshports.org/comms/sredird/

/Uffe