Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:01:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi time-out & lockup under smp

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, John W. DeBoskey wrote:

> sd0: SCB 0x1 - timed out in command pahse, SCSISIGI == 0x86
> SEQADDR = 0x8c SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x7 SSTAT1 = 0x3
> sd0: abort message in message buffer
> sd0: SCB 1 - Abort Completed.
> sd0: no longer in timeout
> sd0: SCB 0x1 - timed our while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI = 0x0
> SEQADDR = 0xb SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x5 SSTAT1 = 0x2
> sd0: Queueing an Abort SCB
>

>    It only seems to occur when I start to initiate heavy disk io. It
> does not happen in the uni-proccesor situation. The complete output
> from dmesg is appended to this mail. If anyone can help me track this
> down, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
> John

This is a fairly well known problem with the 2940U/UW, and probably
anything else based on the 7880.  All I can say is that for heavy disk io,
don't use that controller, two controllers might be causing some of those
problems too.  However I'd also suggest that you take the number of busses
down a notch, unless you have devices on bus 255, and that you cvsup the
most recent FreeBSD sources,as I think some improvments have been made to
this driver, and many improvments have been made to the smp code.

- alex