Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 14:01:45 -0500
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   pcm/sbc improvement discovered; halfway there for me :-)

I just upgraded from 4.3-STABLE to 4.4-STABLE #1 (Fri Nov 23 11:46:35
EST).  I had previously reported on this list that I couldn't record
sound properly with my AWE64 card (it would record 16-bit samples
while claiming they were 8-bit samples).  As of the upgrade,
wavrec/wavplay work properly.  Thanks much to those responsible!
I do hear on this list that there remain issues with sound drivers,
but I so far have fewer of them. :-)

The remaining mystery is that sfmike (from Speak Freely) insists
on sending static more than conversation, as if it still doesn't
correctly understand the sample size...it's also sending volumes
more data than it should, according to netstat.

Thanks to those who provided help with my sound problem, in particular
James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>.

--
Doug Lee           dgl@visi.com        http://www.visi.com/~dgl
Bartimaeus Group   doug@bartsite.com   http://www.bartsite.com