Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 13:07:19 +0100
From:      "Stewart Morgan" <stewart@nameless-uk.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Administrative tag a possibility?

> Mike Smith wrote:

> > > Say introducing a convention like '$!$' to denote an always to be
> > > acceptable change?
> >
> > No, not acceptable.
> >
> > In this case, mergemaster should be smart enough to notice that the
> > file in question was unchanged before the merge, and just
> not irritate
> > you in the first place.
>
> You've just won my vote! Nonetheless I think a simple pattern
> match like "$!$" could've been implemented long ago - thus
> saving me uncounted q+i keypresses, whereas introducing
> smartness into a program might take a tad longer.

	Wasn't there a discussion on something like this ages ago?
I seem to recall somebody suggesting MD5 checksums to see if a file
has changed or not and acting acordingly.

	If you're worried about maintaining a database of checksums,
why not place it in the file itself.  Of course somebody'll mention
recursion: if you grep -v CHECKSUM | md5 and compare with grep CHECKSUM,
you've got something that works and is easy to maintain.

	Just my 2p worth :)

Stewart.

--
Stewart Morgan MEng AMIEEE
Technical Director, Nameless-UK

T: +44 117 974 55 44        | A: The Production House
F: +44 870 168 02 10        |    147a St. Michael's Hill
E: stewart@nameless-uk.com  |    Bristol
W: www.nameless-uk.com      |    BS2 8DB