Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 09:41:29 +0000
From:      Neil Brendan Clark <nbc@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re IDE/eIDE issues

In message <199511170108.RAA02644@ref.tfs.com>you write:
>As you've got the two FreeBSD parts next to each other,
>why did you make 2?

The main reason was that as well as FreeBSD and a (token) DOS partition,
I also wanted to install another OS, QNX on the same disk as well. QNX
is similar in its demands to FreeBSD with regards to IDE disks, i.e. its
boot partition must reside lower than the 1024th cylinder. 3 onto 1 does
not always easily go!

The way I allocated space was like this;
	DOS	128M
	QNX	330M
	FBSD1	20M
	FBSD2	553M

which allowed me to access all OS's freely without changing any BIOS parameters,
aside from removing the initial brain damaged IDE translation. If I had merged
FBSD1 and FBSD2 into the one partition, it would not be wholly within the reach
of the BIOS and would not boot. I know this, since I tried it ;-)

Neil