Date:      Thu, 2 Jun 2022 23:25:16 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>, "freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make NFSv3 default now on diskless

On Thu, Jun 02, 2022 at 08:03:05PM +0000, Rick Macklem wrote:
> [...]
> My recollection (from long ago) is that, although the RFC defined them as 32bit signed,
> some implementations choose to mid-interpret them as unsigned, so that 4G was supported
> instead of 2G.
>
> Having said that, I agree with you that you should just use NFSv3 now. (Many servers are
> dropping NFSv2 support entirely.)

> > > I believe most specify "nfsv3" in the "/" mount line of /etc/fstab on the
> > > remote root fs. Then, when the system does a "mount -u" to make it
> > > read/write it gets toggled to NFSv3.
> >
> > well, I tried doing a:
> > mount -u -o nfsv3 /
> It used to work when it was in /etc/fstab, when going from read-only to read-write,
> from what I recall.
>
> > on the system and this didn't work switch over to v3, it was still on
> > v2..
> >
> > I haven't specified nfsv3 in /etc/fstab, but IMO, this should be the
> > default..
> Since NFSv3 is the default, it might not need to be explicit. I can't recall.
>

> > Also, I'm right now booting single user mode, because I'm -mapall to
> > a user, and lots of FreeBSD breaks when files aren't uid 0, and there
> > doesn't appear to be a way to remap the uid to root (that I have found)..
> Yep. It would take effect when going multi-user.
>
> "-mapall=root", although that is not a recommended security setting.
> Why don't you just allow the client to use whatever uid it  would normally
> use instead of "-mapall"?

> > > As above, NFSv2 uses 32bit sizes.

> > > Well, that option only works when used with BOOTP_NFSROOT.
> > > The GENERIC configs for amd64, arm64,... use the other way.
> > > (Just to make it confusing, there are two different ways an NFS root
> > >  fs is set up.)
> > > See below.

> > > I don't think changing the default to NFSv3 will be a problem.
> > > The reason it was NFSv2 was that,
> > > for some non-FreeBSD NFS servers, the NFSv3 file handle is different
> > > than the NFSv2 one.
> > >
> > > I added NFSv3 support to stand/libsa/nfs.c about 15years ago, so every
> > > system should be running the newer NFS code in the loader and be able
> > > to do NFSv3 booting.

> > > Yes. For "options NFS_ROOT" (the other way), the loader uses
> > > "stand/libsa/nfs.c" to acquire the remote file system's root file handle
> > > and fills it in. (See nfs_setup_diskless() in sys/nfs/nfs_diskless.c.)
> > > Looking at it, it appears to enable NFSv3 so long as it finds
> > > "boot.nfsroot.nfshandlelen" set.
> >
> > Well, I'm not seeing that, and this system is booting via
> > pxeboot+loader, so maybe something is broken?
> If it's an up to date (within last 10+ years then, yes, it sounds like it
> might be broken. However, I'm not a loader guy...
>
> You can set it manually at the loader prompt to "28" and then see if it
> boots are is running NFSv3.
>
> I have no way of testing/debugging this. Maybe you can figure out why the
> loader isn't setting "boot.nfsroot.nfshandlelen" to 28?

I have did several (> 5) lab setups with NFS booting, and it was always
like you described:

kernel config:
options		NFS_ROOT

/boot/loader.conf
boot.nfsroot.options="nolockd"
nfscl_load="YES"
(yes, my nfscl.ko is a module)

/etc/fstab (an example)
192.168.130.1:/usr/home/netboot/zoo/r-freeb44   /       nfs     rw,nolockd      0       0

and in dhcpd.conf
host r-freeb44.zoo {
  hardware ethernet 28:80:23:a2:37:bc;
  fixed-address r-freeb44.zoo;
  next-server rott.zoo;
  filename "pxeboot";
#  filename "loader.efi";
  option root-path "192.168.130.1:/usr/home/netboot/zoo/r-freeb44";
}
You need pxeboot (or loader.efi) on the tftp server root (rott.zoo in my
case).

Above demonstrates the loading over the legacy BIOS/PXE.  Recomment pxeboot
to loader.efi if you have something not so old so it can pxeboot using UEFI.

Result:
root@r-freeb44:~ # nfsstat -m
192.168.130.1:/usr/home/netboot/zoo/r-freeb44 on /
nfsv3,tcp,resvport,nconnect=1,hard,cto,nolockd,sec=sys,acdirmin=3,acdirmax=60,acregmin=5,acregmax=60,nametimeo=60,negnametimeo=60,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,readdirsize=32768,readahead=1,wcommitsize=16777216,timeout=120,retrans=2