Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:48:38 +0200
From:      "Daniel Eriksson" <daniel_k_eriksson@telia.com>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Giant-free ahc?

Is anyone working on fine-grained locking for the ahc driver?

I just upgraded one of my servers from UP to SMP, and noticed that *Giant
showed up a lot when running top for processes accessing data on the SCSI
discs. It could be a GIANT lock for some other resource of course, but since
the ahc driver reports [GIANT-LOCKED] during boot, and since all the
processes were accessing data on SCSI discs I just assumed it was waiting
for a lock in the ahc driver.

Is there a simple way to figure out which resource the processes are waiting
for (without compiling in any additional debugging)?

/Daniel Eriksson

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAA0VcX9IoJqUaXPS8MjT1PdsKAAAAQAAAASgCTacl2b0SDEgGCZoLcgAEAAAAA>