Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2013 23:48:39 +0400
From:      "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anuranjan Shukla <anshukla@juniper.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcelm@juniper.net>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IFNAMSIZ/IF_NAMESIZE change proposal

------enig2THIBILQCFMGUTJMNMUDS

On 14.09.2013 12:44, Anuranjan Shukla wrote:
> Hi,
> At Juniper Networks, interface name size was needed to be longer than w=
hat FreeBSD has. We're trying to reduce our local changes to FreeBSD to a=
llow us an easier time upgrading to newer FreeBSD releases, and support t=
he modularization of the network stack we'd proposed earlier. I'm sending=
 this  out to propose changing IFNAMSIZ from 16 to 60 (this is the size w=
e use) in FreeBSD. We don't see any downside (other than increasing the i=
freq structure size for one) to doing this, as allowing longer interface =
names can be handy for vendors. I'd like to hear if there's a strong obje=
ction to this. If not, we'd like to get this into to the FreeBSD codebase=
=2E Any thoughts/objections highly appreciated.
Changing this will break route socket (if_announcemsghdr).
We definitely need some rtsock changes in many areas so maybe we can
consider bumping rtsock version for 10.0, however it needs to be
discussed (maybe at Malta?)