Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 18:26:18 -0600
From:      "Duke Normandin" <dnormandin@freewwweb.com>
To:        "Danny" <dannyh@idx.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: shutdown now

On Monday, May 15, 2000 4:46 PM Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au> wrote:

>- Instead of "shutdown NOW" try
>- "shutdown -h NOW"
>
>Looking forward to your feedback.
>
>dannyh
>dannyh@idx.com.au
>

>On Sun, 14 May 2000, Duke Normandin wrote:
>> Whenever I use ` shutdown now ` to drop into single-user mode,
>> I get the following error message:
>>
>> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: -> I hit Enter
>>
>> syntax error: Bad substitution
>>
>> I hit ^D and all files are re-read w/o the system checks (which is
>> what I want). How do I get rid of this "syntax" error?
>>
>> -duke

I've used that in the past to reboot the system c/w probing etc. I use
`shutdown now` to have the "system files" re-read" after I've changed
something. It works OK -- I'm simply being picky in wanting to fix the
syntax error. Do you know which script/program is running that is flashing
me this error message when I hit return to accept /bin/sh ?

Chris suggested that I look in .profile, but I can't see anything wrong in
touch -- which doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot, because I couldn't
find my arse with both hands when it comes to Unix/FBSD. ;^)

Thanks for your input!

-duke