Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 19:39:59 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        "Amancio Hasty, Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        tjeffers@nastg.gsfc.nasa.gov, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd Vs. Linux

>Karen Jefferson x2857 wrote:
>>
>> We are in the midst of a development project which uses alot of UDP
>> and serial communications.
>>
>> Although our preference had been to use FreeBSD, the UDP
>> performance was terrible (200 Kbps over Ethernet), and we
>> kept getting ENOBUF errors  which  makes FreeBSD an unacceptable choice.
>> Our previous posts for possible parameters to tune didn't
>> turn up anything helpful, and messages to freebsd.org haven't been
>> answered yet.
>>
>> The TCP performance was the same for both Linux and FreeBSD, and UDP
>> testing on all other platforms in our facility proved okay for Solaris,
>> SunOS, & SCO.
>>
>> Is there anything we can do to improve the UDP performance of FreeBSD?
>> Why does it care about buffering for UDP?  Please respond via email
>> to tjeffers@nastg.gsfc.nasa.gov.  Thanks.

Your tests are seriously defective. Every networking test Ive ever done had
linux
placing a very sad third behind FreeBSD and BSD/OS. With an intimate
understandiing of their internal structuring, I'm not surprised. I dont know
about the
udp specifically, but if your tests show that TCP is the same then you
either have
the FreeBSD system all hosed up or your test isn't testing much. FreeBSD is
MUCH faster than LINUX.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX