Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 20:51:00 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: root only: (was Re: comments on this change please.)

Terry Lambert wrote in message ID
<199610240017.RAA10899@phaeton.artisoft.com>:
> You only care because that is how you do system management.
>
> You only do system management that way because there is not an
> effective framework to use for system management.
>
> There is not an effective framework to use for system management
> because the system files are spread all over the place, and they
> are not data driven.
>
> The system files are spread all over the place, and they are not
> data driven, because you care too much to allow the necessary
> intermediate steps to take place to fix the problem.
>
> Catch-22.

May I point out that moving the datafiles first is like putting the
cart before the horse. If you want to NOT surprise and confuse users,
the system management tools should be present first, then the files
can be moved to
/this/is/an/exteremely/stupid/place/to/put/a/file/but/here/goes for
all the user cares ... he just loads up the admin tool and off he
goes.

> To put it another way: to get ahead, I eventually have to leave the
> chair in which I am sitting.  Progress implies change.

I'm not against change. I'm all for some forms of change
(e.g. re-organising the src tree to make developing new platforms
easier). I'm against change which causes more confusion than the change
was worth. For my money, moving named data files into /var/namedb at
this time fits that category.

Gary