Date:      Fri, 24 Jun 2011 15:04:07 +0100
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Allen <Unix.Hacker@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Graphic card that works?

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Allen <Unix.Hacker@comcast.net> wrote:

> Nvidia has always worked well for me as well; Nvidia is one of the only
> companies that makes GOOD drivers specifically for FreeBSD. They
> actually make the driver, and they have one for more than Windows unlike
> some companies. Whenever I have an Nvidia card, I generally know I'll be
> doing fine with good hardware, as they have a driver for FreeBSD, Linux,
> and Solaris.

Ditto, except watch out for laptops that have both Intel and nvidia
graphics chips in them, they will probably be configured in what is
termed 'nvidia Optimus', which uses the Intel part its low power
consumption, and the nvidia one for 3D/scaling etc. This is all
managed seamlessly by the driver in Windows 7, but doesn't yet exist
for Linux or BSD, so neither graphics card works correctly. Avoid!

Cheers

Tom