Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 07:07:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: floating point usage within the kernel - howto ?

> > task to the timer interrupt. I am trying to push them to use FreeBSD
> > (and an LKM for this module) so that they can easily access the
> > controller across the network or via the web, use high level stuff
> > for visualization, etc.
>
> A worthy goal.  They're not interested in using a "real" motor
> controller card?

they do it for real stuff of course but this opens other problems like
the sw. development which usually runs under dos/windows (what else!),
communicating withthe controller across a serial line, etc.

> > For sure they can do fixed point, but if i can find a solution for
> > 'save_fp_regs()/restore_fp_regs()' this might have other uses as well.
>
> The problem is mostly just one of dealing with the FP context switch;

ok, i will browse through the sources. i have seen a reference to
npxsave which could help.

> IMHO, you'd be better of with them using rtprio() and running the
> control applicaton in user-space, especially if they were previously
> using the 18Hz timer resolution.  It doesn't sound like anything other
> than the hardware access needs to be in the kernel at all.

that's an alternative but i am just not sure how much overhead there
would be (we plan to use up to HZ=1000 and run at every tick; the original
application used to run at 100-200 hz they are telling me, using a
timer on the AD/DA card.)

	thanks
	luigi